Thursday, April 29, 2010

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner

I did actually have chicken for dinner tonight, and it was delicious.
I received an email today from the City of Santa Monica informing me that my design was selected for part of GLOW 2010, being held on Santa Monica pier/beach. I co-designed the proposal along with my good friend Aaron who I knew from grad school and we're both quite honored and excited to be one of the selected teams.  One of the exciting things about working in the public art realm is that it provides the opportunity to create experiential spaces without many of practical restrictions of architecture.  If you are unfamiliar with GLOW, it is an all night festival held on the beach and consisting of dozens of interactive lighting based installations.  Aaron and I were able to come up with a scheme that choreographed an experience for the visitor, without having to worry about long term durability, weatherproofing, seismic forces, etc.  As an architect, I am interested in defining space, but the art arena seems to be an ideal testing ground for ideas.  This installation will fall somewhere between an object (ie. sculpture) and an enclosure.
More musings to follow.  Today is the first step in a long process.  I will be sure to post updates along the way and show images/video of our process.








No comments: